Habitat Restoration Manuals
- Salmonid Stream Habitat Restoration Manual 4th edition
- Salmonid Stream Habitat Restoration Manual, Volume 2, 4th edition, Parts IX – XII (PDF) – Fish Passage Evaluation
- Salmonid Stream Habitat Restoration Manual, Part VII – Project Implementation (PDF)
- Other CDFW Fisheries Restoration Grant Program (FRGP) Approved Restoration Guidelines and Manual for Salmon and Steelhead Habitat Restoration
- National Marine Fisheries (NMFS) – Guidelines for Salmonid Passage at Stream Crossings (PDF)
- Designing Watercourse Crossings for Passage of 100-Year Flood Flows, Wood, and Sediment. Cafferata et. al. 2017.State of California. California Natural Resources Agency. Department of Forestry and Fire Protection. California Forestry Report No. 1 (revised)
- California Department of Fish and Wildlife, Aquatic Invasive Species Disinfection/Decontamination Protocols. Revised February 2016.
- Handbook for Forest, Ranch and Rural Roads: A Guide for Planning, Designing, Constructing, Reconstructing, Upgrading, Maintaining and Closing Wildland Roads. Weaver, W.E., Weppner, E.M. and Hagans, D.K., 2014, Handbook for Forest, Ranch and Rural Roads: A Guide for Planning, Designing, Constructing, Reconstructing, Upgrading, Maintaining and Closing Wildland Roads, Mendocino County Resource Conservation District, Ukiah, California, 416 p.
Process-Based Restoration, Low-Tech Process-Based Restoration, and Beavers
- Process-based Principles for Restoring River Ecosystems. Timothy J. Beechie, David A. Sear, Julian D. Olden, George R. Pess, John M. Buffington, Hamish Moir, Philip Roni, Michael M. Pollock, BioScience, Volume 60, Issue 3, March 2010, Pages 209–222.
- Design Criteria for Process-Based Restoration of Fluvial Systems. Damion C Ciotti, Jared Mckee, Karen L Pope, G Mathias Kondolf, Michael M Pollock, , BioScience, Volume 71, Issue 8, August 2021, Pages 831–845,
- Low-Tech Process-Based Restoration of Riverscapes: Design Manual. Version 1.0. Wheaton J.M., Bennett S.N., Bouwes, N., Maestas J.D. and Shahverdian S.M. (Editors). 2019. Utah State University Restoration Consortium. Logan, UT. 286 pp. DOI: 10.13140/RG.2.2.19590.63049/2.
- Low-Tech Process-Based Restoration of Riverscapes: Pocket Field Guide. Wheaton JM, Wheaton A, Maestas J, Bennett S, Bouwes N, Shahveridan S, Camp R, Jordan C, Macfarlane W, Portugal E, Weber N. 2019. Utah State University Restoration Consortium. DOI: 10.13140/RG.2.2.28222.13123/1.
- Restoring Western Headwater Streams with Low-Tech Process-Based Methods: A Review of the Science and Case Study Results, Challenges, and Opportunities. Version 1.0, November 2022. American Rivers.
- The Beaver Restoration Guidebook: Working with Beaver to Restore Streams, Wetlands, and Floodplains. Version 2.01. Pollock, M.M., G.M. Lewallen, K. Woodruff, C.E. Jordan and J.M. Castro (Editors) 2018. United States Fish and Wildlife Service, Portland, Oregon. 189 pp. King County. 2022.
- Planning for beavers manual: anticipating beavers when designing restoration projects. King County. 2022. Prepared by Jen Vanderhoof, King County Water and Land Resources Division. Seattle, Washington.
- Beaver in California: Creating A Culture of Stewardship. ©2016 Occidental Arts and Ecology Center, WATER Institute.
- Advocating for Beaver Restoration in National Forest Plans. Bates, S., T. Simpson, T. Heggen and L. Chandler. 2021. Washington, DC: National Wildlife Federation
Oyster and Eelgrass Restoration
- A Guide to Olympia Oyster Restoration and Conservation. Wasson, Kerstin & Zabin, Chela & Bible, Jillian & Ceballos, Elena & Chang, Andrew & Cheng, Brian & Deck, Anna & Grosholz, Ted & Latta, Marilyn & Ferner, Matt. (2014). A Guide to Olympia Oyster Restoration and Conservation.
- Native Olympia Oyster Collaborative
- Eelgrass Restoration on the U.S. West Coast: A Comprehensive Assessment of Restoration Techniques and Their Outcomes. Beheshti, K. and Ward, M. 2021. Prepared for the Pacific Marine and Estuarine Fish Habitat Partnership.
Invasive Plant Management
- Best Management Practices for Wildland Stewardship: Protecting Wildlife When Using Herbicides for Invasive Plant Management. Cal-IPC Publication 2015-1. California Invasive Plant Council, Berkeley, CA.
- NOAA Fisheries – Southern Oregon and Northern California Coast (SONCC) Coho Salmon Recovery Plan
- NOAA Fisheries – Final Coastal Multispecies Recovery Plan for California Coastal Chinook Salmon, Northern California Steelhead and Central California Coast Steelhead
- NOAA Fisheries – Central California Coast (CCC) ESU of Coho Salmon Recovery Plan (PDF)
- NOAA Fisheries – Central Valley Salmonids – Sacramento River winter-run Chinook salmon ESU, Central Valley spring-run Chinook salmon ESU, and California Central Valley steelhead DPS Recovery Plan
- NOAA Fisheries – North American Green Sturgeon – Southern DPS Recovery Plan
- NOAA Fisheries – South-Central/Southern California Coast Steelhead Recovery Plans
- CDFW – Steelhead Restoration and Management Plan for California (Feb. 1996) (PDF)
- USFWS – Recovery Plan for Tidal Marsh Ecosystems of Northern and Central California
- USFWS – Western Snowy Plover Recovery Plan(link is external)
- USFWS – California Least Tern Recovery Plan(link is external)
- USFWS – Vernal Pool Ecosystems of California and Southern Oregon
- Search the Environmental Conservation Online System (ECOS) by species to see more recovery plans
- Survey Protocol for the Arroyo Toad. U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, 1999.
- Interim Guidance on Site Assessment and Field Surveys for Determining Presence or a Negative Finding of the California Tiger Salamander. U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, 2003
- California Clapper Rail Survey Protocol. U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, 2015.
- Coastal California Gnatcatcher (Polioptila californica californica) Presence/Absence Survey Guidelines. U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, 1997.
- Methods for surveying Marbled Murrelets in forests: a revised protocol for land management and research. Pacific Seabird Group. Evans Mack, D., W. P. Ritchie, S. K. Nelson, E. Kuo-Harrison, P. Harrison, and T. E. Hamer. 2003.
- Estimating the Effects of Auditory and Visual Disturbance to Northern Spotted Owls and Marbled Murrelets in Northwestern California U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, 2006
- Protocol for Surveying Proposed Management Activities that May Impact Northern Spotted Owls. U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, Revised January 9, 2012.
- Least Bell’s Vireo Survey Guidelines. U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, 2001.
- A natural history summary and survey protocol for the Southwestern Willow Flycatcher: U.S. Geological Survey Techniques and Methods. Sogge, M.K., Ahlers, Darrell, and Sferra, S.J., 2010, 2A-10, 38 p.
- A Natural History Summary and Survey Protocol for the Western Distinct Population Segment of the Yellow-billed Cuckoo. Halterman, M., M.J. Johnson, J.A. Holmes and S.A. Laymon. 2015.
- Survey Protocol for Determining Presence of the Buena Vista Lake Ornate Shrew. U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, 2012
- Survey Protocol for Determining Presence of San Joaquin Kangaroo Rats. U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, 2013.
- Survey Guidelines for the Listed Large Branchiopods. Revised November 13, 2017. Sacramento, California. U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, 2017.
- Survey Data Sheets for Vernal Pool Branchiopods. U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service.
- Framework for Assessing Impacts to the Valley Elderberry Longhorn Beetle (Desmocerus californicus dimorphus). U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, 2017b. U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service; Sacramento, California.
- General Rare Plant Survey Guidelines. U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, 2002.
- Protocols for Surveying and Evaluating Impacts to Special Status Native Plant Populations and Sensitive Natural Communities. State of California, California Natural Resources Agency, Department Of Fish And Wildlife, March 20, 2018.
- Guidelines for Conducting and Reporting Botanical Inventories for Federally Listed, Proposed and Candidate Plants. U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, 1996.